Monday, January 14, 2013

Race report - Charlotte Short track Race #1


The Charlotte Winter Short track has been on my list of races to compete in since last winter. Short track racing basically is very similar to Cyclocross. The first part of the track is downhill complete with berms, jumps, and is very fast and flows very well - the next part is a gravel uphill road and a small rock garden. To watch a previous years course click here.

Now to get on with it - My race was at 11:30 and the day was unseasonable warm, really warm- 78 degrees! The day started pretty well, I got there with plenty of time to register, warm up and got to watch some of the earlier races (watching helps me calm the nerves). RACE TIME! The start went really well even though I got there late and had to file through the clydesdales. I started at the back and was able to get a good start and make it to mid pack before we entered the woods (single track). I did way better than I was expecting in the woods - I'm still getting used to riding berms. I was right on the guys wheel in front of me and just as we are going to make the turn uphill and into the rock garden he spins out! He unclips and bike is completely blocking the trail, CX instincts kick in and I jump off the bike, jump over him and run! I ran probably 50 yds? When I get to the fire road I jump back on and I completely out of breath - remember I'm a biker NOT a runner! I start pedaling look down at my computer and its reading ZONE 6 - 186 HR! #1- I didn't know I had a zone 6 and #2- I thought Garmin would start beeping faster and faster like they do in the movies when a bomb is about to explode. Mind you I redlining and at the bottom of the climb! So I try to spin and recover as I'm going up- this wasn't in the plan. Meanwhile, an entire peloton of mountain bikers passed me on the climb. Once in the parking lot I felt a little better and could see someone to chase (and a lot of people to see me chase down a guy 1/2 my size) - so I did. I felt strong in the parking lot and wanted to beat the next rider to the woods. Lap 2, I was still trying to recover from the running on lap 1. My plan was to stay smooth and fast on the downhills, carry speed through the corners, and recover. The uphills I wanted to spin up them and catch someone in the parking lot before they reached the woods. The plan worked pretty well.

On the last lap this guy I was racing kept passing me on the fire road then I would pass him in the parking lot. Lap 6 he passed me again on the fire road pulling another rider along with him. They passed me and I jumped on his wheel. When we turned back on to the gravel road and I locked out the fork knowing there was going to be a sprint for the finish line. All 3 of us single file through the s-curve and into the parking lot. They guy in front of me went a little wide on the last corner. I spun up the legs and got next to his rear wheel then shifted. He heard me shift and he started pedaling harder - it was too late. I took him at the line by less than a second. I finished 32 out 39. I'm getting faster and stronger!

Even with the complete blow up on lap 1 of 6 it was a great day! I was able to meet a few new people, meet the guy I passed at the line (funny story - he called me "The Blur"), and hung out with friends. I can't wait till next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment