Monday, December 31, 2012

Resolution #1 for 2013 - Be MORE SELFISH!

Yep, you read that correctly - I want to be more selfish! Ok, maybe not selfish but I want to take more time for me. I want to make that time a priority! Yes, I'm a husband, and I have responsibilities I need to meet for my wife. And Yes I'm a father (and stay at home dad) and I have those responsibilities as well. And, I'm employed, and need to perform those duties as well. Life is full of responsibilities and I absolutely plan on fulfilling them. What I'm talking about thinking about what is best for me. I have needs that need to met too. No, not those needs! Stuff that makes me happy, things I like to do! For instance today I had a dilemma - my brother was coming into town to see us but I also had 1 more ride I needed to complete this week and today was the last day to do so. The old me would have said "I want my guests to feel welcome in my home, I'll skip today's ride." But today I felt it was important to stand up for me, my health, and the commitments I made for the year! I didn't want to go down the path of least resistance by giving up on my wants.  I've spent most of adult life giving to others, I was a very dedicated high school teacher, I've volunteered in several organizations, I've given of my time and money to others. Don't get me wrong, those things are great to do. Usually when something has to give it's my wants that get tossed aside. No, I'm not saying this is someone else's fault - IT"S MINE and mine alone. I seem to always relent and do whats easy. I all to easily make excusses that prevent me from doing what I should. I have a very supportive wife, and she wants me to ride (because otherwise I can be a real pain in the A$$)! YES, I know how lucky I am to have her supporting me in my endeavours!

Back to my story - All morning  I played it over and over in my head what was going to happen today - I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG! It didn't go how I was expecting - not at all! My brother basically said "Yea, Go ride! And have fun!" ............................ And I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment