Thursday, December 13, 2012

The "Plan"

Back in High school every Friday/Saturday night my mom would ask me "What's the Plan?" as I was walking out of the house for that evenings festivities. I would turn to her, put my hand on her shoulder and say "Mom, The Plan is......... to NOT have a plan". Mom never really like that "plan". And that worked when I was much younger and life was just about having fun. But now, I have goals and that "plan" just hasn't worked for me in the world of bike racing. Battling NOT to finish DFL is getting a little old! So here it is, enjoy.

First things first, I bought a heart Rate Monitor, A Garmin Edge 500 to be exact. This thing is amazing y the way! Next a friend and successful mountain bike racer  put together a training plan for me - a mix of Tempo, Endurance, Power, Intervals, and fun rides.

I stopped racing CX for the season so I could train a little better for the upcoming Winter short track series in January and February. It's very similar to CX racing but on mountain bikes - Basically, who can finish the most laps within a given time. Still unsure what Short track is click here. I'm planing on completing all 5 races as long as the weather is descent. Snow would be fine but not rain - I really don't want to get sick. The races will be part of the training. I'm not expecting to win or even come close. They will be more a way for me to push myself, gain racing experience, race some slow guys (like me), meet some people, and have fun!

Next, will be the start of the Maxxis Southern Classics Series which are regional events spread throughout North and South Carolina. I'm planing on doing the Tsali, Riverfront Classic, and maybe Uwharrie. I'm going to try to work in a night Cx race at the Mountain Sports Festival in Late April. At the same time I will be competing in the Local Wednesday night series at different venues in the Charlotte area. I'm thinking of just doing the Whitewater center, Renaissance, and maybe Anne Springs - North Meck and Fisher Farm are too far away. So that's going to add another 8-12 races. All of this should be leading up to a big finish - The Jerdon Mountain Challenge (a warm up to ORAMM) in July - 30 miles and 4000' of climbing.

Hopefully after JMC I'll be ready for a break. YES, resting is going to be part of the "Plan". Maye take a couple weeks off then on to CX training. I want to do at least 8 races (I competed in 4 this year) but thinking if I'm doing well, having fun, this could easily see myself doing 12ish.

Another goal is finally losing the weight, This shouldn't be to difficult IF I follow the plan. Earlier this year I was up near 300lbs. Now I'm down in the 250's. Still losing weight well into winter and the holiday season is huge for me - that never happens! By Tsali(April 7) I'm hoping to be down to 230.

I know it sounds like a lot and it absolutely is a lot! I just need to follow the plan!

1 comment:

  1. YOU GO MIKE! maybe I'll be joining you on a few of the southern classic series.

    ReplyDelete