Friday, February 15, 2013

Kill your Television



Well now that the Super Bowl has passed I guess I better explain something that I received a lot of questions about. Last August when we moved into our new house we decided to try out not having a TV. Now that's not entirely true - we have a TV but no cable and I'm not sure it works with rabbit ears or not. Its basically there only for my sons Wii. I must say I was a little nervous about giving up my precious glowing black box. But after a long summer with my 10 year old constantly watching TV I was willing to try anything. Here's what I have experienced by not having a TV.

Then: TV was relaxing.
Now: I find sitting on the patio listening to music to be much more relaxing.

Then: TV helped me decompress after a long day at work.
Now: I ride my bike, go for a walk, relax outside.

Then: I probably watched 3-4 hours a night.
Now: I watch Hulu and Netflix - maybe average 20 minutes a day.

Then: I thought I'd be missing something if I didn't have TV.
Now: I'm glad that I have no idea who Honey Boo Boo is or who a Kardashian is dating.

Then: I thought I'd be bored without TV.
Now: I get so much more done during the day without that glowing box.

Then: I thought TV was important for life in the modern world.
Now: I save $100+ every month! Can you say BIKE FUND!


Let me give you a real example of what I'm talking about.

A Tale of 2 Thanksgivings.

Before this thanksgiving we had a very traditional Thanksgiving. "TV Thanksgiving" would involve us watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade even though it's pretty much exactly the same as the year before. But there was no way I was going to miss it- it's a tradition! Then the football games were on, and we would snack all day. Then the main attraction was a huge feast where the mind set was "Eat as much as you can, this will be your last meal for the entire week". Then we would feel so bad and roll to the sofa to watch more football until the pie's were ready.

Thanksgiving this year involved me getting up early helping my wife prepare the bird. At 7:30 I left to go on a Thanksgiving day bike ride - 28 miles at a moderate speed in 40 degree weather. Returned home for some Greek yogurt, banana, and a shower. Then sat with the family and talked about what was going on in each others lives. Yes, we snacked on carrots, celery, and nuts. All had a reasonable dinner with no seconds and I didn't feel stuffed. I even had a slice of pie. The next day I felt great and went on mountain ride with the family.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, We just got rid of our dish network and got pair of bunny ears so we can just watch the news and well, sesame street...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, You'll be amazed by what's streamed over the web.

      Delete