Monday, August 19, 2013

Acting lessons

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. It's also a great way to achieve a goal. For instance, if you wanted to play basketball in the NBA. Who might you try to imitate? Definitely not me! Maybe its Kobe Bryant, or Lebron James. You should find how they train and do the same. It might be shooting 100 free throws everyday, or going to the gym and do drills, or playing street ball. I want to race and would love to be competitive. Unfortunately I don't personally know Adam Myerson, Jeremy Powers, and Tim Johnson, but I can still train like them. Cross season is fast approaching (less 3 weeks away) and I'm not where I had hoped I was going to be. Sickness, vacations, lack of motivation are all excuses!

This past week the shop I was working at closed its doors for good. I must say I was pretty disappointed. It's the end of the season and bike shops tend to scale back hours in September-April so the chances of landing another job are very slim. So I going to look at things a bit differently this year. I'm going to be a bike racer! No not professionally but I'm going to act like I am. I'm looking at this as an opportunity, not as a setback. I'm free to train and race all fall and Winter. The old Mike would typically get depressed and feel that this is a set back. But I'm planning on taking full advantage if this time. Yes, I know how lucky I am! Then come spring I'll start looking for another job. 


So what does all of this mean?

It means I'm going to treat my body like a machine. 
It means eating well- whole foods, no junk!
It means training, no matter what.
It means riding in the heat, rain, cold, or when I'm sore, tired and unmotivated. 
It means when I'm not training, I'm resting so I'll be ready to train.
It means pushing hard during the workouts.
It means doing all of the workouts. 
It means racing as much as possible.
It means putting in time on the trails not just the road.
It means staying positive!
It means getting out of my comfort zone.
It means not giving up.
It means planning training, racing, and meals ahead of time.

If I want to be a bike racer, I better start acting like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment