Wednesday, July 3, 2013

....... not for the fame, the fortune, not even the chick's!

Before my current job at the bike shop (sales and service) I was a high school teacher. As a teacher I made decent money, was respected in my community, and I even had a lot of job satisfaction. I loved seeing the "light bulb" light up when a student understood a difficult concept. Or when a student, a student who wasn't the popular kid in school, was asked by all of the jocks, prom queens, cheerleaders, nerds,.......... to help them with their assignments. When I moved to Charlotte I had a teaching job waiting here if I wanted it. So why did I decide to instead become a bike shop employee? Was it for the ........

Fame?
Trust me there is no fame in a bike shop. Some customers think because I work retail that I don't have a college degree, I'm living in my parents basement, and play video games when I'm not at work.

Fortune?
You must be kidding?! I went from making decent money making just over minimum wage. My pay amounts to having gas in the truck and that's about it.

Chicks?
ummmmmmm...................yeah right! #1- I'm married to a wonderful woman that allows me the freedom to work in a bike shop. #2- If you need more info see above.


This is why I do it.....

I do it help a dad ride with his son.
I do it for racers to have an edge on their competition.
I do it for buddies to ride and hang out together.
I do it to keep families together riding.
I do so kids will have fun exercising.
I do it so little girls can ride to their friends house for a tea party
I do it so boys can build jumps in the front yard.
I do it for adults to feel like kids again.
I do it for seniors to feel young again.
I do it for the commuter to stay safe.
I do it for the new mom to have fun with her kids outside.
I do it to encourage people to lose weight.
I do it for the kids to feel independent.
I do it for the overworked one's that need a stress reliever.
I do it for anyone that walks into my shop looking for a bike, accessory, advice, or encouragement.

OK, I do it also because I'm surrounded by bikes, people who ride bikes, and people who want to ride bikes, bike racers, bike commuters all day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment